CCOA Home Page
< Back to Resource Directory

Legal Assistance

 What are your Advance Directives? 

You have the right to make decisions about your medical treatment.  These decisions become more difficult if, due to illness or a change in mental condition, you are unable to tell your doctor and loved ones what kind of healthcare treatments you want.  That is why it is important for you to make your wishes known in advance.  

Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare(Also known as Medical Power of Attorney.

In this document, you name a person as your healthcare Representative to make healthcare decisions on your behalf when you are unable to make them. Your proxy can interpret your wishes to your physician when you are not able.  In order for advance directives to be honored, they must be included in your chart.  If you (an adult) have not made decisions regarding your treatment in the event your diagnosed with a terminal and irreversible condition and you are unable to make decisions for yourself, your are permitted by law to make this declaration by designating a person to make medical decisions on your behalf.  In such a situation the name person my execute a durable power of attorney for healthcare decisions (the person does not need to be a lawyer).  They also may be called your healthcare surrogate.

Advance Directive (or Living Will)

In this document, you provide written instructions about the type of healthcare you would want or not want performed for you under various circumstances.  When you are admitted into a hospital, you will be asked for you Advance Directive.  A copy will be made part of your medical record.  If you do not have an Advance Directive, you are urged to discuss this with your physician or family/support person so your wishes for treatment are understood.
by all. 

Withholding of Resuscitative Services (DNR-Do Not resuscitate)
You, as a patient, have the right to request the withholding of resuscitative services and the withholding or withdrawing of life-sustaining procedures. 

Much information for these directives is online and is often different by state.  
One source is

Legal Service Providers

Elder Law Answers

- Dedicated to legal and financial issues affecting seniors.

Greenwald Law Firm
3341 Youree Dr., Suite 112 

Shreveport, LA 71105
Phone: 318-219-7867
- Provides Service for Personal Injury, Criminal Law, Successions, Bankruptcy, and Class Action.

LA - Legal
4911 S. Sherwood Forest Blvd.

Baton Rouge, LA 70816
Contact: Steven Covell
Phone: 225-293-9472
- Provides Services For Estate Planning and Registered Investment Adviser.

Shreveport Bar Foundation Pro Bono Project
625 Texas St., Suite 100

Shreveport LA   71101
Phone:  318-221-8104
Fax:  318-221-8115
- The ProBono Project refers indigent and low-income residents of Caddo & Bossier Parish to private attorneys who volunteer their time through the Project.
- The Pro Bono Project handles only civil, non-fee generating cases.

- Intake is by telephone ONLY, Mon-Thur 9:30 am to 1:30 pm.

Legal Services of North Louisiana, Inc. (Legal Aid)
720 Travis St.

Shreveport, LA 71101
Phone: 318-222-7186
Fax: 318-221-1901
Toll Free: 800-826-9265
- Provide free legal services to people with civil matters, below poverty guidelines.
- Serves the following parishes: Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, Caldwell, Catahoula, Claiborne, Concordia, Desoto, East Carroll, Franklin, Grant, Jackson, LaSalle, Lincoln, Madison, Morehouse, Natchitoches, Ouachita, Red River, Richland, Sabine, Tensas, Union, Webster, West Carroll and Winn.

Louisiana Civil Justice Center
Phone: 504-355-0970
Toll Free: 800-310-7029
- Louisiana Civil Justice Center is a free service through that provides legal information to Louisiana seniors.
- Get help with family law problems, housing issues, disaster related issues and financial matters such as bankruptcy and social security.
- Trained intake specialists will answer the call and gather information on the problem. An attorney will evaluate the information and then call the senior
   back to assist with the problem. 
- Louisiana Civil Justice Center cannot assist with criminal problems, but they can answer questions about identify theft.

Louisiana Secretary of State - Living Wills (Publications Divisions)
P.O. Box 94125

Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9125
Phone: 225-922-0309
- Living Wills, Cost of $20.00, and $5.00 for Revocation.
- We Have the Living wills here in our office.

National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
1577 Springhill Rd., 
Ste. # 220
Vienna, Virginia 22182
Phone: 703-942-5711
Fax: 703-563-9504
- The National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc. is a non-profit association that assists lawyers, bar organizations and others who work with older
   clients and their families.
- Established in 1987. A referral system to find an elder law attorney in your area.
- To use the website you can search for state, city, etc. to find an attorney to fit your needs.

Northwest Louisiana Pro Bono Project

401 Market St., Ste. 930
Shreveport, LA 71101
Contact: Rebecca Buckley
Phone: 318-213-8300
Fax: 318-221-2205
- The Pro Bono Project refers indigent and low-income residents of Caddo and Bossier Parishes to private attorneys who volunteer their time through  
-  The Pro Bono Project handles only civil, non-fee generating cases.
- Intake is Tue-Thur from 1-4 pm. Call for application.
- Services provided for Bankruptcy, Civil Rights, Divorce, Estate Planning, Family Law, Juvenile Law, and Real Estate Law.

The Five Wishes/Living Wills
820 E Park Ave., Ste. D-100

Tallahassee, FL 32301
Phone: 1-888-594-7437
- Our mission is to help you and your family plan for and receive the care you deserve.

- A good guide to living wills is available from this website.
- You will find a living will form that is very specific in choices you can make known to all, down to specifying you don't
want a ventilator, feeding tube or even ice applied to your lips.

Updated on 10/01/2018